Important Program Update
(January 22, 2016)
Despite a vastly increased budget during the drought, Santa Clara Valley Water District's funding for the Landscape Rebate Program is depleted for the current fiscal year.
SCVWD is no longer scheduling pre-inspections or providing applications. Any incoming applications from those who have had pre-inspections will be placed on a waiting list in case additional funds are added at a later date.
NEW! Landscape Conversion Photo Gallery
Check out this photo gallery of completed Landscape Conversion projects
Do not begin your landscape conversion or irrigation hardware upgrade project until you have had a pre-inspection survey and you have received a written Notice to Proceed from the Santa Clara Valley Water District.
Important Program Note: Sites that have been denied participation in the Landscape Rebate Program for not meeting the initial program eligibility requirements will not be allowed to re-apply for the rebate within three (3) years of the initial pre-inspection or denial date, whichever is the latter.
Please read the new terms and conditions as well as the qualifying plant and irrigation hardware lists prior to submission of your application. Do not begin your project until you have had a pre-inspection survey and you have received a written notice to proceed from the District. For a list of landscape professionals that have had experience working with the Landscape Rebate Program, click here.
The District's Landscape Rebate Program provides the following rebates:
The Landscape Rebate Program is available for Santa Clara County residents, businesses, and institutions that convert qualifying high water using landscape (i.e. irrigated turf or functional swimming pool) to water efficient landscape and/or upgrade to qualifying irrigation hardware that results in water savings. In order to qualify, you must participate in a pre-inspection survey prior to applying for the program.
How do I participate?
Steps to Proceed
1. If you have completed a pre-inspection survey, you may return the completed Application Packet to the District by fax or mail. Contact information is listed below. However, you may be waitlisted, as program funds are running low.
2. We are not accepting new pre-inspections at this time. If you have completed a pre-inspection, please read the Terms and Conditions provided in your Application Packet and review the SCVWD Qualifying Plant List and Qualifying Weather-Based Irrigation Controller List and Qualifying High Efficiency Nozzle List for qualifying plants and hardware selections.
3. Complete the application and submit to the district with the following:
- 4 to 6 current photos of your existing landscape that you plan to convert
- List of qualifying plants you intend to include in the converted landscape area to meet the 50% plant coverage requirement
- Include a simple diagram with the application that demonstrates the qualifying landscape area that you plan to convert as well as the irrigation system that you plan to install/ upgrade
- Current copy of your water bill
- Completed and signed W-9. Rebates of $600 or more may be considered taxable income by the IRS/State
4. Once the district receives your application materials, District staff will review the information and contact you for any additional follow-up. If you have been waitlisted, we will let you know. The District will contact you only if funds for your project have become available.
5. If funding is available for your project, when all information is complete and you have provided sufficient information to the District that your project qualifies for the landscape conversion rebate and/or irrigation hardware rebate, the District will provide you with a written Notice to Proceed. You can begin your landscape conversion project and/or irrigation hardware upgrades once you have received a written Notice to Proceed.
6. Remove approved high water use landscape (i.e.irrigated turf or functional swimming pool) and install your project according to the program terms and conditions. If removing an existing swimming pool, all local building codes or permitting requirements must be met. Contact your local planning or building department for specifics.
7. You will have 90 days to complete your project from the date on your written Notice to Proceed. Once you have completed your project, call the District's Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 in order to schedule a post inspection and coordinate delivery of reciepts for qualifying irrigation equipment. District surveyors will meet with you on-site to measure any converted landscape area, check the irrigation system to verify that it meets the irrigation requirements, and verify that the project meets all of the terms and conditions of the program.
For more information on the Landscape Rebate Program, please contact the Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 or:
Santa Clara Valley Water District
Att: Water Conservation
5750 Almaden Expressway
San Jose, CA 95118-3686
Phone (408) 630-2554
Fax: (408) 979-5639 - please do not fax photos or copies of receipts
- If your project meets all of the terms and conditions of the program and passes post inspection, the project will be approved for rebate.
- The landscape conversion rebate is based on the number of square feet of qualifying high water using landscape convertedto approved low water using landscape, as outlined in the LRP terms and conditions.
- The irrigation hardware rebate is based on the customer’s qualifying project costs and is limited by the specified rebate amounts for irrigation hardware. Qualifying hardware must be installed and operating correctly.
- Once you have received the maximum amount of rebate for landscape conversion and have converted all qualifying pre-existing irrigation hardware, you can no longer participate in the Landscape Rebate Program.
- Rebates are paid on a first come-first served basis and are only available until funds are depleted.