Important Program Update
(June 15, 2016)
On July 1, 2016, the Santa Clara Valley Water District will reinstate the Landscape Rebate Program and will begin accepting new applications. Sites wishing to participate in the rebate program must complete a pre-inspection and submit an application for approval before beginning any work on their project.
- Single family and multi-family sites should call (800) 548-1882 to schedule a pre-inspection through our Water Wise House Call Program, unless they are a customer of San Jose Water Company.
- San Jose Water Company customers should call (408) 279-7900 to schedule a Water Audit.
- All non-residential sites should call (408) 630-2554 to schedule a pre-inspection.
- If you have already completed a pre-inspection and have not received an application for the current Landscape Rebate Program, please call (408) 630-2554 to request an application packet.
Please refer to the links below to see the updated rebate rates and requirements as changes have been made:
On June 14, 2016, the Santa Clara Valley Water District Board of Directors adopted a resolution calling for a 20 percent reduction in water use through January 31, 2017.
New Program! Lawn Busters - From Lawns to Dreamscapes
Our City Forest and the Santa Clara Valley Water District want to help qualified Santa Clara County property owners convert their lawns into drought-tolerant dreamscapes. The Lawn Busters program provides subsidized on-site assessments and landscape design, planting and irrigation installation, with quality assurance follow-up. Qualifying homeowners are seniors over 60, low-income residents, residents with disabilities, or veterans. Please visit http://www.ourcityforest.org/lawn-busters/#lawnbusters or email lawnbusters@ourcityforest for more information and to apply.
It’s easy to save water!
We use over one half of our water on landscaping, so the biggest water savings is in the landscape! One way to cut down on water use in the garden is to incorporate organic matter in your soil. A three inch layer of compost turned into your soil at a six inch depth (about a shovel blade depth) is estimated to increase the water holding capacity of that soil two and a half times more than it would normally hold. Soils augmented in this manner can provide plants with water for up to one week between watering.
The savings don’t have to stop there. You could receive a rebate by upgrading your irrigation system or converting your high water using landscape with climate appropriate landscape. Visit www.watersavings.org or call the Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 to find out if you qualify prior to making any changes.
Interested in downloading one of our flyers? Click on the following links:
Water Wise House Call Program
A Water Wise House Call is the Santa Clara Valley Water District's FREE home water use survey that helps identify opportunities where you can conserve water. Conducting a house call involves calculating water use, teaching you how to read your water meter, surveying the irrigation system, and showing you simple ways to save water both inside and outside the home.
Take a Water Wise House Call virtual tour:
This text will be replaced by video
What are the benefits of a Water Wise House Call?
In addition to possibly lowering your water bill, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you are using a precious resource efficiently. Less water down the drain also means that you are willing to help protect the bay’s salt marsh habitat and its endangered species.
During a Water Wise House Call, a surveyor will:
- Replace leaking toilet flapper valves if needed and requested.
- Measure your showerhead flow rates and install free showerheads if needed and requested.
- Measure faucet flow rates and provide faucet aerators for kitchens and bathrooms.
- Evaluate the efficiency of your irrigation system.
- Provide you with a personalized irrigation schedule.
- Identify irrigation leaks, broken or mismatched sprinkler heads, high water pressure, and other common irrigation problems.
- Develop a prioritized list of how you can start using water as efficiently as possible.
How do I sign up?
To suit your schedule, Water-Wise House Calls are available for Santa Clara County residents and apartment managers Monday through Saturday, during daylight hours.
To schedule an appointment, call 1 (800) 548-1882, or click here to submit an online Water Wise House Call request.
Check out the California Urban Water Conservation Council's Video Libary
A collection of water conservation 'How-To' videos are now catalogued and available for viewing on the CUWCC's website at http://cuwcc.org/Resources/Video-Library.
Visit "Sprinklers 101" for a wealth of Irrigation Info
This web portal, created by the California Association of Water Agencies as part of their Save Our Water campaign, is a one-stop shop for homeowners and professionals looking for information and online resources on water-efficient irrigation. Homeowners will find easy-to-understand information about how residential sprinkler systems work, information on drip irrigation and other smart ways to reduce landscape water use, as well as loads of online resources. To go to the site, click here.