The Silicon Valley Water Conservation Awards are Seeking Nominations
These awards are presented to an organization, agency, business or individual whose programs and leadership have advanced water conservation in Silicon Valley. Additional information can be found at www.WaterAwards.org.
- On January 1, 2014, the Submeter Rebate Program rebate amount will increase to up to $150 per installed submeter.
- On January 1, 2014, the Landscape Conversion Rebate will be increased to $1.00 per square foot of converted high water using landscape to low water using landscape. The rebate amount within a cost-sharing partner area will be increased to $1.75 - $2.00 per square foot. Maximum rebate amounts will remain the same. For more information, please call the Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554.
- New Laundry to Landscape Graywater Rebate Program.
- New Safe, Clean Water and Natural Flood Protection Program to offer grants for water efficient technologies and conservation programs.
- Changes to the High Efficiency Toilet Rebate Program.
Please check back soon for more information.
In fall, it’s easy to save 20 gallons a day!
Remember, landscape usually needs only half of the water it does during the summer. This means if you water 48 minutes per week in summer, the same plants only need 24 minutes of watering time in the fall. In December, you may be able to turn off your irrigation system completely until mid-March.
The savings don’t have to stop there. You could receive a rebate by making upgrades to your irrigation systems or landscaping with water-efficient plants. Visit save20gallons.org or call 800-548-1882 to schedule a free landscape survey prior to making any changes.
Water-Wise House Call Program
A Water-Wise House Call is a free home water use survey that helps identify opportunities where you can conserve water. Conducting a house call involves calculating water use, teaching you how to read your water meter, surveying the irrigation system, and showing you simple ways to save water both inside and outside the home. Take a Water-Wise House Call virtual tour:
This text will be replaced by video
What are the benefits of a Water-Wise House Call?
In addition to possibly lowering your water bill, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you are using a precious resource efficiently. Less water down the drain also means that you are willing to help protect the bay’s salt marsh habitat and its endangered species.
During a Water-Wise House Call, a surveyor will:
- Replace leaking toilet flapper valves if needed and requested.
- Measure your showerhead flow rates and install free showerheads if needed and requested.
- Measure faucet flow rates and provide faucet aerators for kitchens and bathrooms.
- Evaluate the efficiency of your irrigation system.
- Provide you with a personalized irrigation schedule.
- Identify irrigation leaks, broken or mismatched sprinkler heads, high water pressure, and other common irrigation problems.
- Develop a prioritized list of how you can start using water as efficiently as possible.
How do I sign up?
To suit your schedule, Water-Wise House Calls are available for Santa Clara County residents and apartment managers Monday through Saturday, during daylight hours.
To schedule an appointment, call 1 (800) 548-1882, or click here to submit an online Water-Wise House Call request.*
*San Jose Water Company customers need to call (408) 279-7900 to schedule a free Water Watcher Audit. To find your water retailer, click here.
Visit "Sprinklers 101" for a wealth of Irrigation Info
This web portal, created by the California Association of Water Agencies as part of their Save Our Water campaign, is a one-stop shop for homeowners and professionals looking for information and online resources on water-efficient irrigation. Homeowners will find easy-to-understand information about how residential sprinkler systems work, information on drip irrigation and other smart ways to reduce landscape water use, as well as loads of online resources. To go to the site, click here.