Valley Water offers paid summer internship opportunities ($18.17 per hour) in various disciplines, such as:
This Summer Internship Program takes place from June to August and is open to undergrad (Junior/Senior) and graduate students enrolled in an accredited community college or college/university.
Valley Water’s Summer Internship Program provides students interested in water industry careers with relevant work experience to expose them to an organizational public sector and enhance their academic backgrounds. This experience should develop the student's understanding of the internal dynamics of an organization and of the value and attitudes of public employees to both their clientele and their administrative-political superiors. The internship program also gives students the opportunity to recognize their obligations as professionals and to the public.
In addition, interns are assigned mentors, receive professional development training, participate in networking events, attend meetings with executives, and tour a water treatment plant and water quality lab. Interns are expected to prepare a Capstone presentation at the end of their internship.
This program is designed to broaden the intern’s knowledge of how Valley Water serves our community. To ensure the Summer Internship Program remains beneficial to the district and interns, ongoing feedback will be solicited on the program’s effectiveness to help improve the program for future participants.
- Be enrolled in an accredited undergraduate (Junior or Senior) or graduate level community college or college/university program and not have participated in the district’s Summer Internship Program in past years
- Proof of enrollment will be required prior to start of assignment
- Not have participated in Valley Water’s Summer Internship Program previously
- Pass a pre-employment screening process to include reference and background/criminal checks
- Be able to work full-time (40 hours/week) during the Summer Internship Program (June to August)
|Start Date||May 26, 2020||June 15, 2020|
|End Date||Aug. 14, 2020||Sept. 4, 2020|
|Orientation||June 15, 2020 (attendance required)|
Apply online Jan. 20 - Feb. 2, 2020
Complete the required online Employment Application
- Resume (recommended)
- Provide responses to the Supplemental Questions listed in the online application
Please note: In the work experience section of the online application, school projects, volunteer and extracurricular activities may be included in lieu of work experience
The schedule above may be subject to change
February: All applications and supplemental questions are reviewed
March: Managers review top applications and select interview candidates
March-April: Interviews are conducted
- Local students interviewed in person
- Non-local students interviewed over the phone or through video chat
April: Offers sent and background checks processed
May: All students will be notified via email if they are selected
Come Meet Us!
Come meet the Valley Water recruitment team and learn more about the summer internship opportunities we are offering.
We will be attending the following career fairs:
- Saturday, Sept. 14: BASE Diversity Career Fair at SJSU, 1 - 4 p.m. (Location: Student Union Ballroom C)
- Saturday, Sept. 27: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) at SJSU, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Location: TBD)
- Friday, Oct. 4: MESA Engineering Program Mock Interviews at SJSU, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. (Location: TBD)
- Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2020: Winter Career Fair at Santa Clara University, 4 -7 p.m. (Locatelli Student Activity Center)
- Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2020: UC Santa Cruz Government & Non-Profit Career & Internship Fair, 2 – 5 p.m. (Merrill Cultural Center)
- Thursday, Jan. 30, 2020: STEM Career and Internship Fair at UC Berkeley, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Recreational Sports Facility, Kleeberger Field House Gym)
Participation in the Summer Internship Program does not automatically guarantee full-time employment
Valley Water does not provide medical benefits, vacation pay, or holiday pay as part of the intern program
Can I apply for more than one position?
Yes, you are welcome to apply for more than one position. Application answers should be tailored to each position applied for accordingly.
What if I am interested in a position but cannot be there for an in-person interview?
Phone/Video interviews can be arranged.
Do you offer year-round internships?
Yes, year-long internships are offered at Valley Water.
How long will it take for my application to process?
Please see our timeline as a reference of our application process.