Purified Water Program - Public-Private Partnerships (P3)
Information October 2017 to present
The Purified Water Program is part of Valley Water's strategy to respond to the current drought and is consistent with the Board of Directors' direction to expand the county’s water supply. As currently conceived, the program could provide up to 45,000 acre-feet per year (AFY) of purified water for indirect and/or direct potable reuse to supplement groundwater recharge from other existing sources, such as imported and locally-stored water supply.
In the future, purified water may also be used for direct potable reuse and would be blended with imported water prior to conveyance to the district’s conventional water treatment plants for distribution through the potable water supply system.
The program’s potential components include the following:
1. Silicon Valley Advanced Water Purification Center (SVAWPC) Expansion;
2. Ford Recharge Ponds Indirect Potable Reuse Facility;
3. Mid-Basin Injection Wells;
4. Los Gatos Recharge Ponds;
5. Sunnyvale Indirect Potable Reuse;
6. Purified water production at the Palo Alto Regional Water Quality Control Plant (RWQCP); and
7. Central Pipeline or Vasona Pump Station Direct Potable Reuse as future alternatives.
The first phase of program implementation will be an up to 24,000 acre-feet per year (AFY) expansion of the SVAWPC with a conveyance pipeline and indirect potable reuse via the Los Gatos Recharge Ponds.
Map of Possible Program Components
Public-Private Partnerships (P3) Procurement Process
To sign up for Program updates, please fill out the Outreach List Request Form below.
- Outreach List Request Form
- Outreach List (automatically updated daily)
- Notice of RFQ Re-issue (12-29-2017)
- RSVP for Recycled Water Committee P3 Workshop on January 23, 2018
- Participant List for Recycled Water Committee P3 Workshop on January 23, 2018
Request for Qualifications (RFQ) - updated 04-24-2018
- RFQ Expedited Purified Water Program 02-26-2018
- Financial Capabilities Financial Template (Excel)
- Addendum No. 1 (03-22-2018)
- Addendum No. 2 (03-28-2018)
- P3 Respondents' Information (04-04-2018)
- P3 Final Shortlist (04-24-2018)
- Technical Workshop for Shortlist P3 Entities - Workshop Agenda (06-06-2018)
- Technical Workshop for Shortlist P3 Entities - 1 on 1 Meeting Agenda (06-06-2018)
- Technical Workshop for Shortlisted P3 Entities - Powerpoint Presentation (06-06-2018)
- Technical Workshop for Shortlisted P3 Entities - Video (06-06-2018)
- Shortlist P3 Entities Tour of SVAWPC - Agenda (06-07-2018)
RFQ Reference Documents
- SBWR Strategic and Master Planning Volume 1 Report
- SBWR Strategic and Master Planning Volume 2 Appendices
- South Bay Advanced Recycled Water Treatment Facility (or AWT) Engineer's Report
- South Bay Advanced Recycled Water Treatment Facility Engineer's Report - Appendices
- Potable Reuse Planning - Water Supply System Modeling Report
- RO Concentrate Management Plan Consultant Agreement
- Review of Chronic Toxicity - Mass Balance on RO Concentrate Blending with SJ-SC RWF Effluent
- Draft Review of Dilution Analysis of SJ-SC RWF Discharge to South San Francisco Bay
- Draft Purified Water Program Plan
- Initiate RFP Development - December 2017
- Assume up to 24,000 AFY purified water production at Zanker Road
- Assume conveyance to Los Gatos Recharge Ponds
- Board direction on re-issuance of RFQ
- Initiate CEQA/NEPA work at risk - February 2018
- Execute Accelerated MOU with City of San Jose - June 2018
Purified Water Program Updates
- Board Agenda Memo October 10, 2017: Expedited Purified Water Program - San Diego County Water Authority's Experiences with Project Delivery Methods; Additional Information on Design/Build and Public-Private Partnership for Program Delivery; Program Status Update
Recycled Water Committee
The role of the Recycled Water Committee to meet to develop a long term proposal for recycled water opportunities within district boundaries, and to establish a collaborative process for facilitating policy discussion and sharing of technical information on recycled water issues. Please visit the Recycled Water Committee webpage for more details.
Program Background and History
Visit our Program Background and History webpage for further details on past activities.