Cancelled: This event was cancelled due to weather conditions. The event may be rescheduled for Spring 2020, so stay tuned for updates!
Partnering with a Purpose
Hosted by Valley Water in partnership with the City of San Jose and County of Santa Clara
Saturday, December 7, 2019
9 a.m. to noon (weather permitting)
Sign up to volunteer to pick up litter at one of the three clean-up sites!
Registration is required to participate.
Site 1: Coyote Creek at Brokaw Road to I-880
- Location: 1290 Ridder Park Drive, San Jose, CA 95131
- Register here: https://decembercleanupsite01.eventbrite.com
Site 2: Coyote Creek at Corie Court
- Location: 1505 Schallenberger Road, San Jose, CA 95112
- Register here: https://decembercleanupsite02.eventbrite.com
Site 3: Coyote Creek at Rock Springs Drive
- Location: 1870 Senter Road, San Jose, CA 95112 (across from Rocksprings Park)
- Register here: https://decembercleanupsite03.eventbrite.com
Please note that the clean-up event is weather permitting and any changes will be posted on this website. For more information, email [email protected].
Please review these helpful tips below before the clean-up.
- Arrive early to allow time to find street parking and walk to your clean-up location.
- Wear long pants, sturdy shoes and sunscreen.
- Bring a water bottle.
- We will supply pick-up sticks, vests, gloves and trash bags.
- All youth under 18 require parental/guardian supervision and transportation to cleanup site.
- All volunteers will sign a waiver form before volunteering. The waiver will be available at the cleanup site on the day of.
Upon arrival at the cleanup event location, your Site Coordinator will provide you with a waiver and all safety guidelines. You are required to follow these guidelines. Here are some common do’s and don’ts – your Site Coordinator may provide you with more:
- Don’t go in the water!
- Don’t pick up any dangerous or hazardous materials – including needles, syringes, bloody clothing and bandages. Notify your Site Coordinator immediately if you find any of these objects.
- Don’t pick up heavy and/or awkward objects such as tires or large pieces of scrap metal, unless approved by the Site Coordinator.
- Don’t pick up dead animals.
- Don’t stomp on bags.
- Don’t overexert yourselves! Take breaks and drink plenty of water.
- Do stay clear of homeless encampments.
- Do use caution around creek banks – they can be muddy and slippery.
- Do wear gloves at all times.
- Do stay in a group or work with a buddy.
- Do be cautious of poison oak!
- Do lift with your legs, not your back.
- Do handle sharp objects (broken glass) with care – children should NOT pick up broken glass.
Various partner agencies and non-profits will be supporting the clean-up event to provide services to the unhoused individuals.
- PATH homeless service provider
- Dignity on Wheels (mobile showers and laundry program for homeless)
- Gardner Health Services (Healthcare for the Homeless Outreach staff)
- Valley Homeless Healthcare Program (medical health outreach)