In November 2012 the voters of Santa Clara County overwhelmingly supported Measure B, the Safe, Clean Water and Natural Flood Protection Program. Developed with input from more than 16,000 residents and stakeholders, this 15-year program was created by the water district to match the community’s needs and values. This program includes projects to address five priorities, including Priority A: Ensure a safe, reliable water supply. As part of Priority A, the water district is offering rebates for nitrate treatment systems to improve water quality and safety for private well users.
Many private wells in the Santa Clara Valley have high levels of nitrate due to historic and ongoing sources like fertilizers, septic systems, and animal waste. Elevated nitrate in drinking water is a concern because it can interfere with the blood’s ability to transport oxygen and cause health problems, especially for infants and pregnant women. To reduce the exposure of private well users to elevated nitrate, the water district is offering rebates of up to $500 for the purchase and installation of nitrate treatment systems. The guidelines for the Nitrate Treatment System Rebate program are below.
Please check the list of approved nitrate treatment systems and read the information below before purchasing a nitrate treatment system.
- Only nitrate treatment systems certified to reduce nitrate by the State Water Resources Control Board Division of Drinking Water (DDW) and installed in the County of Santa Clara qualify for rebate.
- Only households supplied with drinking water that exceeds the nitrate levels specified in the next bulleted item below and comes entirely from a registered private well are eligible for a rebate.
- A certified laboratory result dated within the last five years must confirm the presence of nitrate above 45 milligrams per liter (mg/L) as nitrate (NO3) or 10 mg/L as nitrogen (N) for the well serving the address where the nitrate treatment system is installed. You may be eligible for free basic water quality testing by the district.
- There is a limit of one nitrate treatment system rebate per single family household (individual dwelling unit). Please complete a separate rebate application for each dwelling unit.
- The nitrate treatment system must be installed and the completed rebate program application must be submitted to the water district within 90 days of its purchase.
- Only private wells that are not part of a public water system as defined by the DDW are eligible for a rebate.
- The original sales receipt must accompany the rebate program application. If you purchased the nitrate treatment system online, please print the online receipt and submit it to the water district along with the original packing list that comes with the nitrate treatment system.
Mail your completed rebate application, receipt, and certified lab result to:
SCVWD Nitrate Rebate Program
5750 Almaden Expressway
San Jose, CA 95118
- Incomplete applications and those without the required supporting information will not be processed. A post-installation inspection by the water district may be required.
- Rebate amount is limited to $500 or 100 percent of the nitrate treatment system purchase price, whichever is lower.
- Sales tax is not covered by this rebate.
- Rebate funding is limited and only available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Rebate offerings and amounts may change without notice. The terms and conditions of the Nitrate Treatment System Rebate Program may be changed without notice.
- Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for the rebate to be processed.
For more information, contact the Groundwater Hotline at (408) 630-2300 or use our Access Valley Water customer request and information system (See "Nitrate treatment rebate" under the Wells topic). With three easy steps, you can use this service to find out the latest information on the project or to submit questions, complaints or compliments directly to a district staff person.