2016 Paid Summer Internship application period is Feb. 22 - 26, 2016
The Santa Clara Valley Water District offers 30 paid summer internship opportunities ($15 per hour)
in various disciplines, such as:
- Environmental Sciences
IT and Computer Science Technology
The duration of this Summer Internship Program is between June and August and is open to students enrolled in an accredited community college, undergrad (Junior and Senior), graduate programs and must be enrolled in the Fall 2016 session.
The Summer Internship Program provides students with a work experience to give him/her a realistic exposure to an organizational public sector environment as well as to provide students seeking careers in the water industry an opportunity to enhance their academic background. This experience should develop the student's awareness of the internal dynamics of an organization and of the value and attitudes of public employees to both their clientele and their administrative-political superiors. The internship also gives the student the opportunity to become aware of his/her obligations as a professional and to the public.
In addition, interns are assigned mentors, receive professional development training, participate in networking events, attend meetings with executives, and tour a water treatment plant and water quality lab. Interns are expected to prepare a Capstone presentation at the end of their internship.
This program is designed to broaden the intern’s knowledge of the Santa Clara Valley Water District and how we serve our community. To ensure the Summer Internship Program remains beneficial to the district and interns, ongoing feedback will be solicited on the program’s effectiveness which will help improve the program for future participants.
Internship opportunities are available in three business areas of the district: Administration, Water Utility and Watersheds:
Click buttons above to learn more about each area and the specific positions and requirements
- Be enrolled in an accredited undergraduate (Junior or Senior) or graduate level community college or college/university program and not have participated in the district’s Summer Internship Program in past years
- Be enrolled in the Fall 2016 session
- Be fluent in both written and spoken English to be eligible to participate in the program
- Have an overall GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Provide proof of legal right to work in the United States
- Pass a pre-employment screening process to include reference checks and a background/criminal check
- Proof of enrollment will be required prior to start of assignment
- Be able to work full-time (40 hours/week) during the Summer Internship Program (June to August)
||May 31, 2016
||June 13, 2016
||Aug. 12, 2016
||Aug. 26, 2016
||June 13, 2016 (attendance required)
- In the work experience section of the online application, school projects, volunteer and extracurricular activities may be included in lieu of work experience
- The schedule above may be subject to change
Participation in the Summer Internship Program does not automatically guarantee full-time employment
The district does not provide medical benefits, vacation pay, or holiday pay as part of the intern program
For more information, please contact the Santa Clara Valley Water District Recruitment Hotline at: (408) 630-2260, or email email@example.com.