How We Operate
Providing safe, clean water for a healthy life, environment and economy
How we operate header image
Page Title
How We Operate
Back to top

Public Records Requests


Self Service

Our Popular Documents and Data page features many commonly requested documents and data sets.

Some District reports are also online at the Internet Archive.

General Questions

For general questions about district programs and services that do not require release of records, please use the Access Valley Water online form, write to [email protected], or call the district main number (408) 265-2600 so that a receptionist may assist you.

Environmental Site Data Review

For Contamination case files, please see Environmental Contamination and Underground Storage Tank site information.

For Well data, please use Google Chrome to access our GIS Well Information App for data on a well’s status, permit number, and construction specifics like depth, diameter, and screen interval.

If you are looking for well logs, please contact the State Department of Water Resources. Information on how to request well logs can be found here:

Procurement Records

For current and recent bids, records such as bid results, awards, bidder information, RFPs, addenda, and related documents are available for download via our PlanetBids portal. If the information you need is not available on PlanetBids, you may submit a public records request; however, please note: per California Government Code section 7928.705, records pertaining to public supply and construction contracts will not be released until after the bid is closed, therefore please submit your request for bid results after the closing date for a bid. Older materials may be accessed via a public records request.

Request access to all other district public records

Send requests to:

Note: It is not necessary to use more than one of these methods.

Frequently Asked Questions

What type of records can be requested?
Per the California Public Records Act, almost all district records are public records. District public records include hardcopy writings and reports, photos, sound, graphics, and engineering drawings.

Certain types of records may be exempt from disclosure including, but not limited to: trade secrets, proprietary software, certain preliminary drafts and memos, records concerning district litigation until the matter is resolved or settled, wells data, certain geological and geophysical data, vulnerability assessments, attorney-client communications, and materials relating to personal privacy.

When will I get a response?
We begin processing all requests promptly. However, because not all records are readily available on site, it often takes us a few days to gather and review requested material. Records must be reviewed for exemptions. We will send a response within 10 days to let you know whether the records requested will be available. In many cases, we are able to provide access to or copies of records within a day or two of the request. In unusual circumstances, we may require an additional 14 days to gather materials.

Where and when may records be inspected?
Please call us in advance to make an appointment to allow us enough time to identify and collect the requested documents. Records not exempt from disclosure will be open for public inspection during normal business hours: 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday in the Records Management Center at the Blossom Hill Annex, 1020 Blossom Hill Road, San Jose, California.

Is there a fee?


Hardcopy records: photocopies or digital scans of unbound materials that can be reproduced on a standard office copier (11" x 17" or smaller, but not micrographic)

No charge if under 20 pages.

If over 20 pages and less than 100 pages, $0.20 per page

If over 100 pages, an outside copy vendor will be used, who will bill the requestor directly.

Hardcopy records: materials larger than 11' x 17", bound books, cassette tapes, video tapes, microfilm, fragile media requiring archival conservation, or other materials that cannot be reproduced on a standard office copier. An outside vendor will be used, who will bill the requestor directly.

Digital records in readily accessible formats (example: PDFs) that do not require programming or extraction by IT services to be produced and read outside of Valley Water systems.

No fee for delivery via a filesharing site.

For delivery via CD/DVD: $4.00 per disc.

Digital records in formats which require data compilation, extraction, and/or programming services in order to produce a copy of the record which may be used outside of Valley Water systems (example: data stored in relational databases).

Actual costs of producing a copy of the record, including the cost to construct a record, and the cost of programming and computer services necessary to produce a copy of the record when the request would require data compilation, extraction, or programming to produce the record.

If the search cannot be completed in house, actual charges from an outside vendor.

What information will I need to submit?
So that we can provide the best customer service, please provide:

  1. Enough detail to identify the documents you are requesting (dates, document types, subjects, etc.)
  2. Enough information for us to contact you regarding your request and to arrange the inspection, copying, and/or delivery of the materials. We ask that you provide your name, phone number, address and e-mail.