Back to top

How did these documents change the permitting process?

Previously, for construction and activities near streams applicants needed to obtain two local permits: one from the Santa Clara Valley Water District (Valley Water) and one from a local land use agency (either a city or the county, if unincorporated).

Under the Water Resources Protection Ordinance, this process has been streamlined so that a Valley Water permit is only required when the land is owned by or under easement to Valley Water, or when the work will affect underground utility lines or other Valley Water facilities

Applicants will still need to consult with other state and federal resource agencies, such as the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, the Regional Water Quality Control Board, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to determine additional permit requirements when working in and around riparian or water resources areas.