Back to top

Where to Report Other Types of Water Waste

The water waste inspectors are best equipped to help address water waste from irrigation systems and landscapes. The additional contact information listed will help you find the proper team or agency to report other types of water waste and pollution.


Broken Fire Hydrants

Contact your water retailer to report broken or leaking fire hydrants.




Mosquito and larvae in standing water

Mosquito Sources

Mosquitoes are capable of transmitting diseases such as West Nile virus, Dengue Fever, and Malaria. Mosquitoes can breed in stagnant water in plastic pools, buckets, old tires, gutters with persistent standing water, etc.

The County of Santa Clara Vector Control District can help identify, eliminate, or remove these sources through measures including but not limited to mosquitofish. Related information can be found here. Report any breeding sources for follow up or anonymously through this online service request  or by calling at (408) 918-4770.



Mosquitofish prey on mosquito larvae









Hazardous Material Dumping in Creeks 

For urgent matters, call Valley Water's Pollution Hotline at 1(888) 510-5151. Then, report through Access Valley Water with the "Hazardous materials reporting" topic.






Illegal Dumping in Creeks

Call Valley Water's Watershed Hotline at 1(408) 630-2378 or through Access Valley Water with the "Dumping, trash & debris" topic.







Only rainwater should flow into storm drains

Reporting Urban Run-Off and Pollution in Storm Drains

Only clean water may be dumped or allowed to flow into a storm drain. Common examples of illegal discharges include pesticides, water from washing vehicles or equipment, sewage, automotive fluids, paint, construction materials and wastes, sediment and/or silt, and food wastes.

When do you report an illegal discharge or dumping incident?

  • When you see a person dumping anything into the storm drain. This activity is illegal.
  • When you notice unusual odors in or near the storm drain.
  • When you see dumped wastes and materials in or near the storm drain.
  • When the storm drain system has larger than normal flows during dry periods.

To report an illegal discharge or dumping incident, contact the listed member agency in which the discharge or incident occurs:

Campbell, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Saratoga (408) 354-5385
Cupertino (408) 777-3354
Los Altos (650) 947-2770
Los Altos Hills (650) 941-7222
Milpitas 1-888-229-9473
Mountain View (650) 903-6378
Palo Alto (650) 329-2413 
(24 hour support)
San Jose (408) 945-3000 
(24 hour support)
Santa Clara (408) 615-5580 
(24 hour support)
Sunnyvale (408) 730-7260
Unincorporated Santa Clara County (408) 918-3400

In case of emergencies or after business hours, please call 911 to report the incident. For more information, contact SCVURPPP (Santa Clara Valley Urban Runoff Pollution Prevention Program) or call 1-888-BAY-WISE (1-888-229-9473).