The District is offering a two-part program, which includes Water Wise Outdoor Surveys and the Do-it-Yourself Water Wise Indoor Survey Kits:
Water Wise Outdoor Surveys
During this free outdoor irrigation survey offered to single family and small multi-family sites (under ½-acre) in Santa Clara County, a trained irrigation professional will complete a comprehensive evaluation of your irrigation system. During the survey, the surveyor will:
- Evaluate the efficiency of your irrigation system, noting and flagging problems
- Make recommendations for repairs, replacements, and upgrades (some of which may qualify for the Landscape Rebate Program)
- Send you a detailed written report after the survey is complete
- Provide you with a personalized irrigation schedule, if appropriate
- Pre-inspect the site for the Landscape Rebate Program, if applicable
Seasonal check-ups on your irrigation system is the best way to ensure it's performing as efficiently as possible. On average, about half of the water used on residential sites goes to landscaping, so having your irrigation system in top shape can help you reduce your water use drastically.
Need Immediate Assistance?
The California Water Efficiency Partnership offers these Maintenance and Repair How-To Videos:
- Full Irrigation Systems (including adjusting your controller's schedule and information on pressure regulators)
- Sprinkler/Sprayhead Irrigation
- Drip Irrigation
- San Jose Water Company customers should request a Water Audit by calling (408) 279-7900.
- Non-residential or larger multi-family properties, should click here for our Large Landscape Survey Program.
- Surveys are limited to a ½-acre residential landscapes. Single-family residences on larger lots are eligible for a "representative" survey of a portion of their landscaping: the maintenance and upgrade needs in one area of a larger landscape may also be needed elsewhere on the lot.
- Homes that irrigate only with a portable sprinkler or hose attachment are not eligible
- Your property must have at least one valve-operated irrigation zone in order to sign up (see photo).
How to Schedule?
There are 3 ways to schedule a survey:
- Click here to fill out an online form,
- Email [email protected] with "Survey Request" in the subject line, or
- Please call our Drought Hotline at (408) 630-2000.
DIY Water Wise Indoor Survey Kits
To evaluate your indoor water use, customers can request a Do-It-Yourself Water Wise Indoor Survey Kit that includes a step-by-step guide to evaluate your own water use, including:
- Meter leak test
- Toilet leak test
- Sink/Shower flow rates
- General indoor leak information
To request free conservation items, such as a toilet flapper or low-flow sink aerators, the step-by-step guide includes space to record your results and a form to fill out of what you'll need to have a more water-efficient home.
How to Receive a DIY Water Wise Indoor Survey Kit?
- To request a DIY Water Wise Indoor Survey Kit, please call our Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 or click here. Remember to return your results so we can send you free tips and water-efficient gear.
- Other options include:
Need Help Upgrading?
- Watch the videos at the bottom of this page for help completing the self-guided indoor water use evaluation in your DIY Survey Kit.
- Do-It-Yourself Water Survey videos from the California Water Efficiency Partnership can help.
- Replace equipment with more water-efficient fixtures with the help of these videos from EPA WaterSense:
Meter Leak Test
House Line Test
Toilet Leak Test
Measure Flow Rates