The District is offering a two-part program, which includes:
- Water Wise Outdoor Surveys, where we send a trained irrigation professional to evaluate your landscape's irrigation system, and
- Do-it-Yourself Water Wise Indoor Survey Kits, where you learn how to independently check your home for leaks and efficiency improvement opportunities.
Call (408) 630-2000 for outdoor surveys or (408) 630-2554 to request an indoor survey kit.
<< SIGN UP TODAY (or read below for more information) >>
Water Wise Outdoor Surveys
To conserve water outside your home, the first step is understanding the maintenance needs and upgrade opportunities within your landscaping and home’s irrigation system. During this free outdoor irrigation survey offered to single family and small multi-family sites (under ½-acre) in Santa Clara County, a trained irrigation professional will complete a comprehensive evaluation of your irrigation system.
What To Expect?
During the survey, the surveyor will:
- Evaluate the efficiency of your irrigation system, noting and flagging problems that can be addressed or improved
- Make recommendations for repairs, replacements, and upgrades (some of which may qualify for rebates)
- Send you a detailed written report after the survey is complete
- Provide you with a personalized irrigation schedule, if appropriate
- Pre-inspect the site for the Landscape Rebate Program, if applicable
- Check out this quick video for a survey summary
Seasonal check-ups on your irrigation system is the best way to ensure it's performing as efficiently as possible. On average, about half of the water used on residential sites goes to landscaping, so having your irrigation system in top shape can help you reduce your water use drastically.
How To Qualify?
- Homes that irrigate only with a portable sprinkler or hose attachment are not eligible.
- Your property must have at least one valve-operated irrigation zone in order to sign up (see photo).
- San Jose Water Company customers should request a Water Audit by calling (408) 279-7900.
- Non-residential or larger multi-family properties, should sign up for our Large Landscape Survey Program.
- Surveys are limited to a ½-acre residential landscapes. Single-family residences on larger lots are eligible for a "representative" survey of a portion of their landscaping: the maintenance and upgrade needs in one area of a larger landscape may also be needed elsewhere on the lot.
- Don't qualify? Check out these easy Watering Tips from EPA WaterSense.
How To Schedule?
Before proceeding, we'll need your water account number and a copy/screenshot of your water bill. After confirming your eligibility above and getting your water account number, please choose any of these 3 options:
- Fill out this request,
- Email [email protected] with "Survey Request" in the subject line, or
- Please call the program hotline at (408) 630-2000.
Please, have your water account and a copy/screenshot of your water bill ready to complete the sign-up process.
DIY Water Wise Indoor Survey Kits
To conserve water inside your home, the first step is understanding how much water you use and where to look for potential leaks. The Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Water Wise Indoor Survey Kit includes a step-by-step guide to teach you how to check for:
- Sink/Shower flow rates,
- Meter leak test,
- Toilet leak test, and
- General indoor leak information.
To receive free water conservation gear, such as a toilet flapper or low-flow sink aerators, please see below.
How To Get an Indoor Survey Kit?
The DIY Water Wise Indoor Survey Kit includes a step-by-step guide to perform your own indoor survey, a worksheet to request free water conservation items, toilet dye tablets, and a simple device to help you measure the flow rates of your sinks and showers.
To begin saving water indoors using the Indoor Survey Kit, you have 2 options. Please either:
- Use the kit’s online step-by-step guide for immediate help. This does not include the toilet dye tablets or the device to measure flow rates. Or,
- To get dye tablets and a simple flow-rate device along with a physical copy of the step-by-step guide, call our Water Conservation Hotline at (408) 630-2554 or fill out this request.
You will not receive free water conservation gear until you complete either of the 2 options described immediately below.
How To Get Free Gear?
After completing the Indoor Survey Kit's step-by-step guide described above, you have 2 options to get free water conservation gear:
- Fill out the electronic worksheet at www.valleywater.org/DIYSurvey. This worksheet is where you enter your indoor survey results and the total items you’re requesting. Or,
- Fill out your responses on pages 9-10 in the physical step-by-step guide following the instructions on page 11.
If you want any water conservation literature instead of gear, give our Water Conservation Hotline a call at (408) 630-2554. We'll happily mail you our literature post-haste that include magazines on practical plumbing, easy water-wise gardening, gardening for wildlife, soil health, and more.
- Watch the videos at the bottom of this page for help completing the Indoor Survey Kit's step-by-step guide. Also, the California Water Efficiency Partnership offers Maintenance and Repair How-To Videos.
- EPA WaterSense recommends this video from the Region of Peel in Ontario.
- Replace equipment with more water-efficient fixtures with the help of these video tutorials from EPA WaterSense:
- EPA WaterSense also recommends the following videos to help you find leaks indoors and out:
- Santa Clara County residents with a valid library card can check out a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Home Energy Saving Toolkit from participating libraries. This free service includes water audit tools and a user manual [PDF].
Meter Leak Test
House Line Test
Toilet Leak Test
Measure Flow Rates