Get started after reading the essential information on this page. You may qualify for rebates valued up to:
- $2,000-$3,000 for residential sites and
- $50,000-$60,000 for commercial/multi-family sites (5 or more units)!
Increased Rebate Caps
Valley Water is please to announce that commercial, institutional, industrial and multi-family sites (5 or more units) who receive a Notice to Proceed on or after January 1, 2020 will be eligible for an increased rebate cap of $50,000-$60,000 per site! Visit https://scvwd.dropletportal.com/ for more info!
Read How Our Rebates Help Make the Change, available in Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
This program is designed to encourage residents and businesses to convert approved high water use landscape, such as lawns and pools, to low water use landscape as well as to retrofit existing irrigation equipment with approved high efficiency irrigation equipment, including rebates for the following:
- Landscape Conversions
- In-Line Drip Irrigation Conversions
- Irrigation Equipment Upgrades (includes weather-based irrigation controllers and rain sensors)
- Rainwater Capture (includes rain barrels, cisterns, and rain gardens)
- Graywater Systems (separate application; separate rebate cap)
Sites wishing to participate in the rebate program must complete a pre-inspection and submit an online application for approval before beginning any work on their project. See "Steps to Participate" below for additional information.
Sites that have been denied participation in the Landscape Rebate Program for not meeting the initial program eligibility requirements will not be allowed to re-apply for the rebate within three (3) years of the initial pre-inspection or denial date, whichever is the latter.
All applications issued a Notice to Proceed will be held to a total rebate cap of:
Steps for Participation
1. Customers should create a user account online and provide information about existing site conditions, including photos, estimated size of the project area (square footage), and/or existing equipment information. Customers who do not have the ability to submit an online application should call (408) 630-2554 for assistance. Complete the following steps before taking action on your project ideas.
2. Customers will be contacted directly by the District to schedule an onsite pre-inspection as needed after submitting existing site conditions.
3. After pre-inspection approval, customers will submit their proposed project details online, including a full plant list and a description of their project for the Landscape Conversion Rebate and/or the quantity and make/model of their proposed irrigation equipment upgrades.
4. Once the application is approved, customers will be issued an official Notice to Proceed and will have 90 days to complete their project. Do not begin removal of your lawn/pool or the purchase of materials for your project until you have received a written Notice to Proceed from the District.
5. Upon project completion, customers will request a final post inspection and provide any documentation requested, such as photos or receipts. Rebate checks will be issued 4-6 weeks after the post inspection date if approved.
Qualifying Equipment, Plants & Materials Lists
The lists linked below provide the specific types of irrigation equipment, plants, and materials that qualify for rebates if all steps, terms, conditions, and other requirements are followed as described in the online application.
- Approved plant lists for converting turf (lawn) and pools to low water use plants
- Weather-Based Irrigation Controllers: To qualify, must be installed with an onsite rain sensor or onsite weather station that includes a rain sensor
- Meters, Flow Sensors, and Hydrometers
- High-Efficiency Nozzles
- Sprinklers with Pressure Regulation and/or Check Valves
- In-Line Drip Irrigation
Need help getting started or deciding what to do next? Check out the wide variety of resources at valleywater.org/landscaping and southbaygreengardens.org. You'll find landscape designs, sample project photos, lists of professionals to help complete your project, and more!