Alert 1/7/21 | 10:59 AM: Regional Stay Home order continues. Your water remains safe throughout Santa Clara County. LEARN MORE HERE
Water Conservation
Help make conservation a California way of life
saving water header
Page Title
Saving Water
Back to top

Report Water Waste


COVID-19 Program Notice

As part of our public safety response to novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Valley Water is asking staff to telework. Valley Water’s priority is to maintain the health and safety of our workforce and community.

Immediately in effect for Water Conservation Programs, we are still able to serve you remotely. You can directly contact staff to report water waste through Access Valley Water, emailing [email protected], leaving a message at (408) 630-2000, or contacting your water retailer directly. If the situation is urgent, please review "Where to Report Other Types of Water Waste" below for immediate contact information.

If you reach our voicemail, please leave a detailed message including your name, phone number, address and any additional information. We encourage electronic submittals of reporting water waste.

Please allow extra time for processing your requests. Additional water-saving resources can be found at or through our Water Saving Video series. Thank you for your patience and for remembering that we are all in this together.

Report Water Waste!

Valley Water’s water waste inspectors respond to reports of water waste and violations of local water use restrictions. To report water waste, you may select any of these convenient options:

  1. Call (408) 630-2000
  2. Email [email protected]
  3. Download our Access Valley Water app or go to Access Valley Water and select the "**Report Water Wasters" topic.

Please include photos, cross-streets, and landmarks with water waste reports whenever possible.

Not sure how to prevent water pollution? Read more on how you can prevent water pollution. Whether it's from cleaning your car or draining your pool or letting irrigation water drain off your property, you can help protect your local waterways.

What Happens When You Submit a Water Waste Case?

When Valley Water receives a report of water waste, one of our water waste inspectors is dispatched to the address. While Valley Water's team is not empowered to issue fines, they do provide education and resources to help residents reduce water use and eliminate water waste. The purpose of Valley Water's Water Waste Inspector Program is to educate the public with helpful tips, suggestions, and resources to reduce or eliminate water waste.

First Visit: 

  • Our water waste inspectors respond to reports of broken sprinklers, excessive watering, watering during restricted times or other water waste issues. They try to meet with the homeowner, resident or business owner to identify the problem and recommend ways to resolve it. In most cases, learning they have a broken sprinkler or are inadvertently wasting water by watering during restricted times, the resident or business owner understands and takes care of the issue.
  • If no one is home, the inspector leaves an informative door hanger

Second Visit: If the inspectors receive a subsequent water waste report at the same location, they will again visit the site and encourage the responsible party to take care of the problem.

Third Visit: 

  • On the third report of the same water wasting issue, the district may refer the case to the local water provider responsible for that address.
  • How the water company responds varies with the jurisdiction. There may be more educational attempts, or they may have a citation or fine system in place.
  • Check with your local water provider to learn more about their restrictions and water conservation mandates.

Types of Water Waste to Report

Common examples of water waste from irrigation systems we encourage residents to report to water waste inspectors:



Watering sidewalks, roads, or other permeable hardscape can be avoided with more efficient irrigation equipment.








Broken Irrigation








Irrigating or Watering During Restricted Hours

Find Your Water Retailer can help you determine the restricted hours to irrigate in your area. It's most efficient to water landscapes during the evening or early morning.






Washing a Car without a Positive Shut-Off Nozzle

Washing your car at home should be done with a positive shut-off nozzle, a bucket, and so the water runs off into your landscaping [PDF]. Many commercial car washes recycle their water: find a local car wash to save water and protect our waterways. periodically offers discount cards for participating car washes.





Watering During or Immediately After Rainfall

No irrigation is allowed within 48 hours of measurable rainfall (typically defined as 1/4-inch of rain or more).





Leaking Water Meters

Contacting your water retailer can help you fix leaking water meters as well.





Where to Report Other Types of Water Waste

The water waste inspectors are best equipped to help address water waste from irrigation systems and landscapes. The additional contact information listed will help you find the proper team or agency to report other types of water waste and pollution.


Broken Fire Hydrants

Contact your water retailer to report broken or leaking fire hydrants.




Mosquito and larvae in standing water

Mosquito Sources

Mosquitoes are capable of transmitting diseases such as West Nile virus, Dengue Fever, and Malaria. Mosquitoes can breed in stagnant water in plastic pools, buckets, old tires, gutters with persistent standing water, etc.

The County of Santa Clara Vector Control District can help identify, eliminate, or remove these sources through measures including but not limited to mosquitofish. Related information can be found here. Report any breeding sources for follow up or anonymously through this online service request  or by calling at (408) 918-4770.



Mosquitofish prey on mosquito larvae









Hazardous Material Dumping in Creeks 

For urgent matters, call Valley Water's Pollution Hotline at 1(888) 510-5151. Then, report through Access Valley Water with the "Hazardous materials reporting" topic.






Illegal Dumping in Creeks

Call Valley Water's Watershed Hotline at 1(408) 630-2378 or through Access Valley Water with the "Dumping, trash & debris" topic.







Only rainwater should flow into storm drains

Reporting Urban Run-Off and Pollution in Storm Drains

Only clean water may be dumped or allowed to flow into a storm drain. Common examples of illegal discharges include pesticides, water from washing vehicles or equipment, sewage, automotive fluids, paint, construction materials and wastes, sediment and/or silt, and food wastes.

When do you report an illegal discharge or dumping incident?

  • When you see a person dumping anything into the storm drain. This activity is illegal.
  • When you notice unusual odors in or near the storm drain.
  • When you see dumped wastes and materials in or near the storm drain.
  • When the storm drain system has larger than normal flows during dry periods.

To report an illegal discharge or dumping incident, contact the listed member agency in which the discharge or incident occurs:

Campbell, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Saratoga (408) 354-5385
Cupertino (408) 777-3354
Los Altos (650) 947-2770
Los Altos Hills (650) 941-7222
Milpitas 1-888-229-9473
Mountain View (650) 903-6378
Palo Alto (650) 329-2413 
(24 hour support)
San Jose (408) 945-3000 
(24 hour support)
Santa Clara (408) 615-5580 
(24 hour support)
Sunnyvale (408) 730-7260
Unincorporated Santa Clara County (408) 918-3400

In case of emergencies or after business hours, please call 911 to report the incident. For more information, contact SCVURPPP (Santa Clara Valley Urban Runoff  Pollution Prevention Program) or call 1-888-BAY-WISE (1-888-229-9473).

Questions? Call our Water Wise Hotline at (408) 630-2000 or email [email protected].